Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Day that Will Live in Infamy

On December 7, 1941, FDR uttered these words as our country reeled from a surprise air attack on our navy in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.  Much like the 9/11 attacks, this sneak attack from the Japanese caught us off-guard.   I am sure you are familar with the images, but here is one to refresh your memory:





I bring this up because I think we are close to forgetting about this day or simply filing it away as another event in history that happened a long time ago.  Growing up I remember all of my teachers talking about Pearl Harbor day and asking us to remember those who gave their lives.  It was mentioned as a day of remembrance and reverence.  Every newspaper would carry a story of Pearl Harbor on the front page and include interviews of PH survivors or a story of survivors who gathered to observe the day.

Today, the PH story was a tiny one on page 3 of my local paper.  Myabe it's the fact that the number of people who remember that day occurring is shrinking.  Regardless, I wanted to pause, and make you pause, to remember this day.  A toast to those brave men and women who survived or gave their life there will be in order this evening. 

Zach,  An appreciative Tennessee Squire

No comments:

Post a Comment